BLACK, George, third Bishop of the Marion Ward (Panguitch Stake), Garfield county, Utah, was born May 23, 1854, at Fillmore, Millard county, Utah, the son of Geo. Black and Susan Jaquay. With his parents he moved to Southern Utah in 1861 and was baptized by Apostle Erastus Snow at St. George when about eight years old. He was ordained a Deacon at Rockville, whence the family had moved, and when seventeen years old, after residing a short time in Kanosh, they settled at Kingston, Circle valley, in May, 1877. After that George was engaged for some time herding in Grass valley; he was ordained an Elder by Abraham A. Kimball at Kanosh and ordained a Seventy Sept. 4, 1891, by Abraham H. Cannon, and set apart for a mission to Great Britain. He was ordained a High Priest and set apart as second counselor to Bishop Culbert King of the Marion Ward Feb. 26, 1894, by Mahonri M. Steele. He served in that capacity until Culbert Levi King became Bishop of the Marion Ward, when Elder Black was chosen as first counselor in the bishopric, serving thus until Sept. 10, 1908, when he was ordained a Bishop by Francis M. Lyman and set apart to preside over the Marion Ward. He also acted as first assistant superintendent of the Marion Sunday school. Bishop Black is a farmer and stockraiser and served his fellow-citizens for a number of years as justice of the peace. In 1877 (Feb. 15th) he married Esther Clarinda King in the St. George Temple; she was the daughter of Culbert King and Eliza Esther McCullough. This marriage has been blessed with ten children, namely, Geo. K., Lois Clarinda, Bertha, Culbert Loren, Wm. Henry, John Edward, Collins R., Esther, Susan and Richard Levi. Of these children only four are now alive.