Diary of Ann Ham while travelling to Utah

Taken from the Church Historian’s Office by Myra B. Parson.

Recopied by Vanese B. Mathews

Millenial Star 18:217

March 22, 1856 - “The ship “Enoch Train” Captain Henry P. Rich, cleared from Liverpool on Saturday the 22nd and sailed for Boston with 534 souls of the saints on board of whom 19 were from the Swiss, 4 from the Cape of Good Hope, and 2 from the East India Missions, all under the presidency of Elder James Ferguson, Edmund Ellsworth and Daniel D. McArthur. This is the 1st shipload of Emigrants for Utah by the Perpetual Emigration Fund this season. The day was delightfully pleasant, and all things connected with the clearing of this Company seemed peculiarly auspicious. Her Majesty’s officers had a word of admiration to express at the excellence of the arrangements which marked the embarkation of this 1st Co. who expect to cross the plains with Handcarts.”

Recopied by Myra B. Parson, November 14, 1941 Recopied by Vanese B. Mathews, February 10, 1942. Parenthetical notes taken from insertions made in copy of Myra B. Parson by Della H. Barker.

March 19, 1856- Sister Baldwin* and I left Birmingham at half past ten in the morning. We arrived in Liverpool at three. Brother Frisley and Waring took us to the docks to see the vessel and from there we went to the office to get our tickets, returned to Brother Chapman’s to tea, then wrote Grandfather, Edmund and Hannah’s mother. *(Hannah Baldwin, aged 18, Register.)

March 20 – We went to the office and got the luggage, made a few purchases. I then got our berth appointed, went on board the Enoch Train. Slept very well.

March 21 – We left the docks and went into the river. Spent the day in arranging the luggage and singing and walking the deck. Wrote to Sister Burrows. We had our ship allowance given out all very good. Put a piece of pork to soak for tomorrow. Had a good night’s rest and feel quite well and happy.

March 22 – Brothers Franklin, Weeks, Ferguson, Dunbar, and McAllister came on board and Paster Muir. I talked with him a little and he gave me good counsel and bid me goodbye. A couple were married, I believe, by Brother Franklin and this morning we had a newborn son added to our number. Brother Ferguson was appointed President of the ship with Brother’s Ellsworth and McArthur as his counsellors. Wrote to Edmund and to Hannah’s mother. We were divided into 4 wards.

March 23 – Left my native land Easter Sunday, March 23, 1856 in the ship Enoch Train. Brother McAllister was appointed captain of the guests or guard. The company was divided into five wards with a president over each ward. The trumpet sounded morn and evening for prayers. Tuesday and Friday we met at the Great hatchway and the Brethren addressed us.

Brother Galloway is the President of our ward. I woke this morning from another good night’s rest, felt to thank my God for all his mercies towards me. Never felt better in my life, such an appetite can crack the biscuits, well and strong. They started us out of the river. Brother Weeks and Brother Dunbar came with us. We were all on deck listening to an address from Elder Wheelock. Sister Hadgetts’ husband came in search of her and the children. It caused a very great consternation for a time. She and two of the children went back with him and two stayed here. Brother Wheelock left us and went back to Liverpool by the tug. I was soon sick after the storm-tug left us and so were several more.

March 24 – Sick

March 25 – “

March 26 – “

March 27 – “

March 28 – “ Hannah’s birthday. Both sick, could not have our pudding.

March 29 – “

March 30 – “ Brother Galloway administered to me.

March 31 – Better today

April 1 – Better today. Papa Kirbery’s birthday, thought a good deal about him and his son. Sea began to be rough in the evening. Felt sick again. Had a bad cough.

April 2 – Very sick this morning, had a fall near the hatchway which shook me up very much. Went up to my berth, very faint for a few minutes. Then was sick soon after a violent pain took me in my_ _ _ _ with a very speedy relaxation. Continued to be sick.

April 3 – Still sick. Felt so depressed in spirits prayed earnestly for patience and strength to endure. Thought a good deal about Edmund. Sea continued to be boistrous, the boxes and tin slops and kicked up a severe pain.

April 4 – Sick. Took Cholera powder and composition and laid upon Sister Robinson’s bed all the day.

April 5 – All the bowel complaint ceased. Went on deck a little today. Commenced to learn German from a Sister.

April 6 – Beautiful morning, enjoyed my breakfast very much, went on deck, saw two whales in the water not a great distance from us. This is the twenty-sixth anniversary of the church. This day 26 years ago it was organized with six members and now it is become the terror and wonder of nations. We had a conference on board. Three children were blessed who had been born since we entered the vessel. One of them was named Enoch Train after the ship. After it was blessed the captain came and put a sovereign on its head saying he would bless it with riches. Brother Ferguson and Brother Ellsworth and Brother McAllister sang the “Merry Mormons,” another Brother concluded with prayer.

April 7 – Weather very calm. Began a pair of shoes for Sister Robinson. The band played, the brethren and sisters danced–Lady,Gentlemen–. Brother McAllister sang the Handcart song.

April 8 – Finished my shoes. The sisters began tent making. Hannah and me drank tea at Sister Robinson’s, No. 2 ward Enoch Train. At prayer time all the wards met at the great hatchway. Brother Ferguson addressed us and proposed that we hold two of these meetings a week (l.e.) Tuesdays and Fridays. No lesson in German today as my German Sister was sick. Thought much about Eddy today and prayed earnestly for him.

April 9 – Hannah very poorly with sick head ache. I began a pair of shoes for Sister Porter. The cabin steward bespoke a pair of me. He gave us a nice piece of oyster pie. Sister Jones ill in bed with diphtheria, visited her and the German Sister. Brother McAllister sang us some songs on deck.

April 10 – The sea rather boisterous. Hannah and me very poorly. I was sick again, oh how thankful to my Heavenly Father shall I be to reach land again, yet with all that I have suffered in crossing the ocean I would willing endure it again to bring my dear Eddy with me. Give ear unto my prayer on his behalf, oh my Father, and let my cry come up to Thee in one acceptable manner.

April 11 – Both of us very poorly this morning, I had the visitor. The sea is rather rough which affected us all, to some extent. All the wards met at the Great Hatchway; Brothers Ellsworth, McAllister, and Ferguson addressed us.

April 12 – Finished the shoes for Brother Porter. Felt very thankful to my Father in Heaven for such an increase of health and strength. Thought much about Edmund.

April 13 – Eddy’s birthday, my first waking thoughts were sent up to my Father in his behalf and I felt assured that he has not forgotten me this day. We had a small plum pudding in commemoration of Hannah’s and his birthday and ate it all for breakfast. The wind in our favor this morning. In the afternoon we overtook a vessel going to Halifax, the captains spoke to each other. Our band sat on the rook of the cabin and played. After the vessel was past we had service on the deck. The captain, doctor, and pilot paid great attention. Brothers Hunt, McAllister, and Ferguson addressed us. The word Mormon signifies “More God.”

April 14 – The wind still in our favor for which we felt thankful. I worked at the shoes for the stewards wife. In the afternoon the Brethren and Sisters danced.

April 15 – Hannah began to work at the tents. I finished the shoes and covered my tuscan bonnet. The sea very calm. Brothers McArthur, Ellsworth, and Ferguson addressed us, spoke of the spirit of murmuring and that it was to be found in the tobacco smoke, counseled those that smoked to not do it again. Concluded with singing and prayer.

April 16 – Weather beautiful. Wrote to Eddy. Sister Sander very ill and put into a warm bath.

April 17 – Worked at my crochet. Not very well. Weather clear and the sea calm. A newborn son in No. 2 ward this morning, 4 o’clock. A squall in the night but we were asleep and felt nothing of it. Truly Thou art good to us our Father and Thy protecting care is constantly round about us.

April 18 – Wrote to Sister Burrows. Saw the wise and foolish virgins played. Brothers Chandell and Ellsworth addressed us in the evening.

April 19 – Began tent making. Thought a good deal about Eddy and prayed much for him. Give ear unto my request, O Lord, inasmuch as Thou knowest it is for his salvation, the extension of Thy kingdom and Thy honour and glory.

April 20 – Weather beautiful. Service on deck in the afternoon, Brothers Galloway and Leonard addressed us.

April 21 – Weather damp and foggy. A vessel passed us would not take the Pilot. The captains spoke to each other, they were going to Liverpool.

April 22 – We commenced Robinson’s and Company’s tent, six of us.

April 23 – Finished our tent by tea time. Hannah taken with spasms in the bowels.

April 24 – Weather very cold. Hannah in bed ill, got Brother Ellsworth to administer to her and she was relieved.

April 25 – Hannah better but still in bed. It was such weather that the hatchway had to be kept down. Felt very poorly all day; in the evening had hysteria with spasm in my stomach. Had peppermint and composition and was administered to by Brothers Ellsworth and Porter.

(April 26 to May 7 – no notes written in diary)

April 8 – Weather beautiful. Passed through Bristol in the morning. Felt well and thankful to my Heavenly Father for his great mercies and preserving care over me. (May 9 to June 8 – no notes written in diary)

June 9 – We left the camping ground about 3 p.m., traveled about 5 miles and then camped for the night. Lighted a fire and baked our bread and the brethren went for water. The remainder of the camp gave us a hearty hurrah when we started. I felt thankful to my Father that time to move onward had arrived. Hannah helped Brother Robinson with his cart, I carried Clara.

June 10 – Hand a good night’s sleep, felt better this morning than I have felt before for a long time. After breakfast Hannah, Sarah, Lizzy and Absalom went and picked a handkerchief of strawberries. Lizzy and me went and gathered a canfull after dinner. Felt very well and thankful that we had made a start to cross the Plains in our handcarts.

June 11 – Had a good night’s rest, the cattle found. We started and walked to the nine mile house. Two Handcarts broke down. They were soon mended and on we went again. The second company arrived about an hour after us. We had a beautiful camp ground, strawberries in abundance. Brother Ellsworth addressed us in the evening.

June 12 – Started early traveled 12 miles through clouds of dust. I carried my little Clara*. Very tired when we stopped. *(Clara Robinson, 10 months old.)

June 13 – We went seven miles. Some did their washing. Brother Ellsworth addressed us in the evening, felt very well in health and spirit.

June 14 – Started at 6 a.m. walked seven miles. Brother Ferguson came and those that went back with him. We were all glad to see him. Brother Lee’s son died of consumption just before he arrived.

June 15 – Sister Prater’s child died of whooping cough. Brother France addressed us in the morning, there were many strangers present. Brother Frost addressed us in the afternoon, in the evening we partook of the sacrament. Brother Ferguson addressed us after, spoke well. He said he felt sorry to go back and leave us, he would gladly go with us but it was not the will of the Lord that he should.

June 16 – Sister Robinson fainted, Hannah and me had some words. I had counsel from Brother Robinson concerning it.

June 21 – Brother Bowers died of consumption, neglect.

June 22 – Camped near a beautiful wood. Had a gooseberry pudding for dinner. Dined in the woods. Brother Granger addressed us, Brother McArthur and Ellsworth. There were many strangers present. Brother Bowers was buried. He has left six children and a wife to lament his loss. (June 23 to June 27 – no notes written in diary.)

June 28 – Camped on the prairie. Had a violent storm, 3 tents blew down. Ours stood it well.

June 29 – Sunday. The meeting was addressed by Brothers Hargrave, Ellsworth, McArthur, Crandal, and Leonard and the strangers were very attentive.

June 30 – Started at six. Carried Clara till the handcarts overtook us, then put her in the covered cart and kept with them the remainder of the way. Thought a good deal about Eddy and my Grandfather. Oh Lord, my heart is fixed to do Thy will and to keep Thy commandments and Thou knowest it, comfort me, therefore, wherein Thou seest my soul is troubled. Brother Ellsworth’s birthday, they decorated the tent with flowers. The band played some lively tunes.

July 1 – A storm before we started. We walked 10 miles and then we rested, went with the handcart all through as Clara rode in the big cart. Oh my Father, hear my prayer that my soul may be comforted concerning that which Thou seest troubleth me. I know that Thou will in the end cause all things to work together for my good. Sister Card’s daughter died of Consumption. A violent storm in the night, the tent stood it well, but we had to hold it which made us very wet. Brother Parker’s little boy left behind in the second company.

July 2 – Started at noon, waited for the return of the child but he is not found yet.

July 3 – Many of our camp walked ahead with the children took the wrong road. They were five from our tent Sarah and John, Brother Birch’s two children, and Sister Morris. The mule team arrived and did not bring them, Lizzy and Brother Birch took a handcart and went to seek them. Found them 10 miles from our camp. They arrived at camp about four in the morning tired and weary.

July 4 – Walked twenty miles through a very bad road and the last ten or twenty miles without any water, never did we suffer from thirst before as much as we did then. Brother Ellsworth talked to Brother Morris in the day —. Brother Argills shot an elk belonging to a farmer in a mistake for which the camp had to pay 50 dollars.

July 5 – Brother Parker returned with his son, he found him at some house. (July 6 to July 16 – no notes written in diary)

July 17 – Left Winter Quarters about 3. Went 3 miles to Summer Quarters and camped in a very nice camp ground.

July 18 – In camp all day, sewed. The brethren busy getting the carts repaired, etc.

July 19 – Went to Florence in the afternoon with Sister Robinson, bought bacon, apples, and paid our shares for oil and candles.

July 20 – Very busy loading the wagons and carts and started at 4. Came 7 miles, did not get into camp until it was quite dark. Had to get a light to find the cow, raise the tent, etc.

July 21 – Traveled 15 miles, got to Elk Horn river. A violent storm arose just as we arrived and were ferried over. We all got dripping wet. Had a wet bedroom. Got some boughs and laid our bedclothes on. Had a good nights sleep and none of us took cold. Surely Thy preserving power is truly made manifest upon us from day to day, O Lord God of Hosts.

July 22 – Started at 11, traveled 15 miles, we managed to raise the tent before dark. Walked 11 miles without water. Came to the Platte river and camped.

July 23 – Started at half past eight. Brother Bousco sick so our cart took the lead. We came to a circular pond where there were lilies growing. We went through acres of what I call boot-cutting grass, as high as our heads, which made it very hot and caused us to be very thirsty. Had a beautiful camp ground.

July 24 – This is the anniversary of the Pioneers entering the valley, the Brethren fired two rounds very early in the morning and the band played. Started at 8:30. Traveled nine miles, camped on a beautiful place on the border of the plain. Brothers Watts and Hanson shot 5 ducks and a prairie hen. Gave one to Brother Ellsworth and one to Brother France.

July 25 – Started at 7. Traveled 12½ miles, stopped and had dinner, went on 8½ miles further (sand). Camped, were tormented with mosquitoes. A storm about 12 at night. I worked with Brother Birch. Felt more confident about Eddy than ever I had before.

July 26 – Started about 8. Came to Platte River where we had to be ferried over which took some hours. Then we had to cross a small stream barefoot, then through some heavy sands which caused a breakdown of Agrile’s cart. We had not gone far when the clouds began to gather. Blackness, the lightening flashed and the thunder roared, presently the rain poured in torrents, antoehr burst of thunder and a stream of lightening, and, Oh, My God, What a sight! Ten out of one tent fell to the ground, one of the number, Brother Walker, fell to rise no more until the morning of the first resurrection. His wife was struck from head to foot on one side, he was quite helpless for some time. The brethren laid hands on him and he soon became better. Brother Walker has left a widow and one son, the son is in the valley. Be Thou her Comfort, her solace, her strength, her preserver, and may she live to reach Zion in safety. He was aged 58 years. We stopped until the storm was over and then went 2 miles further, found our tents raised ready for us. This is a day to be remembered by us as a camp and also as individuals.

July 27 – Started at 11, traveled 3 miles. Found a good camp ground, plenty of wood and water. Camped here for the day. Brother Ellsworth killed an ox for us. Brother Watts shot a duck. A meeting in the evening. Brothers Butter, France and Ellsworth addressed us. Promised us every desire of our hearts in righteousness if we would live good. My soul thrills with joy concerning Eddy.

July 28 – Started at 7, traveled 21 miles. Drove down to the river side to camp about a mile from the road. I worked with Brother Hanson and _ _ _ _ _.

July 29 – Traveled 15 miles, met a party of gold seekers coming from California. Camped near the river. Sister Downey gave birth to a fine daughter.

July 30 – Started at 7, traveled 24 miles. No water only what we took with us. The Brethren France, Card, and Edwards came out to meet us with some water. Some part of the road very sandy. The children walked all the way which is a great testimony that the Lord, even the God of Israel is with us. There were 12 wells dug where we camped, but no wood save a little brushwood.

July 31 – Started at 8. Very sandy roads. Round that we were 30 miles out the right road, camped on the plains where there was no wood so made our fires of buffalo chips. Before we had taken our tea, a storm and wind arose and rent the tent in two. Me and Hannah slept in Brother Ellsworth’s tent.

August 1 – Started at 8:30, traveled 16 miles, camped at a creek, plenty of wood and water.

August 2 – Traveled 16 miles. Saw a heard of buffalo in the distance. Brother Ellsworth and Watts went to them but did not succeed in killing one. Sarah’s birthday aged 20. Camped again on the creek. We had to cross 2 creeks. The brethren carried the sisters and children in their arms and took the handcarts on their shoulders.

August 3 – Camped on the creek. Brother and Sister Watts, Lizzy and I went a fishing. I caught 3 and Lizzy 1. Camped all day.

August 4 – Traveled 18 miles before dinner. Brother Watts and Hanson killed a deer. We had the head and feet boiled down for broth which made a nice tent supper. Hannah and me had a nice piece for which we felt thankful to our Heavenly Father for sending it in their way. I don’t remember ever suffering so much from hunger as I have for the last few days.

August 5 – Had a dream concerning Edmund. Traveled 15 miles, met 3 companies of Californians. Camped at Elm Creek but I think it should be called grasshopper creek for there were millions of them. Water bad and scarce. Brother Ellsworht shot at a buffalo and wounded him; the creature turned upon him and in defending himself broke the stock of his gun. Did not succeed in getting him.

August 6 – Started at 7:30. The brethren killed 3 buffalo, 1 before dinner. We came where there are thousands of them.

August 7 – Traveled 23 miles. Did not camp until 9 o’clock. The brethren had to dig wells before we could get water. Hannah and I had the bowel complaint. Hannah rode in the wagons.

August 8 – Hannah and me were administered to by Brother Ellsworth. Very sick all day, could not keep up with the carts. Brother Sanders lost. Camped by the Platte river. The brothers were sent in all directions to see for Brother Sanders but returned without him.

August 9 – Brother Sanders found about 10 o’clock. Started about 1 o’clock. Traveled 14 miles through a very sandy road, met some California emigrants.

August 10 – Sunday, had a good thrashing from our captain, also from Brother France. Started at 12. Traveled 14 miles, camped at a beautiful spring of water.

August 11 – Traveled 15 miles, camped early for the Brethren to kill buffalo. They killed three.

August 12 – In camp all day drying and preparing the meat to take with us. A storm in the evening and again in the night.

August 13 – Traveled 12 miles through a very bad road and crossed several creeks. Very tired and weary.

August 14 – Traveled 18 miles through a very sandy road. Sick.

August 15 – Traveled 15 miles, much sand and several creeks; camped at the Rattlesnake Creek. Hannah and I very poorly.

August 16 – Traveled 17 miles very sandy and several creeks, camped not far from the Platte River.

August 17 – Sunday. Traveled 12 miles. The road very sandy at places and the weather very hot. The poor Italian Brother1 left his tabernacle of clay which had been wasting for some time to go where affliction and pain is not felt. We had a meeting in the evening. Brother Ellsworth addressed us. A storm arose, we were dismissed, but it was not very violent. Camped at Ash Hollow.

August 18 – Started at 7:30, traveled 20 miles. A better road, not much sand. Absalom left the tent, Charles Bridges put in his place.

August 19 – Traveled 19 miles, not much sand; camped by the side of the Platte. Brother Ellsworth killed a buffalo. A violent storm before we lay down to rest. We are now 91 miles from Fort Laramie.

August 20 – Started at 8 o’clock, traveled 18 miles through a very heavy sand a great part of the way. Brother Ellsworth gave each man that worked at the carts a can of flour and each single person that was not connected with a family one. We did not get into camp till after sunset. Buffalo chips very scarce.

August 21 – Started at 8, traveled 18 miles no water, got to camp quite early, did our washing. Brother Ellsworth read us a song which he was composing: Chorus, Out of the way, Out of the way, The handcarts they are rolling, Zion’s children now are coming.

August 22 – Started at 7:30, traveled 20 miles. Met some Californian Emigrants who informed us that 50 wagons had started from the valley to meet us. Had a slight storm at dinner time, put up our tents, etc.

August 23 – Traveled 18 miles, sandy road a great part of the way, camped at the riverside. Brother Ellsworth killed a cow. We were in camp in good time. A storm arose as soon as the tents were up.

August 24 – Sunday, in camp all day. An Indian visited us. We had a good meeting, partook of the Sacrament, some of the Brethren testified. Brother France, Oakely and Butter spoke. Felt well and to thank my God for my deliverance.

August 25 – Traveled 20 miles, very sandy road, met some men from the Fort. Passed an Indian camp. Several of them both men and women and children came to look at us. They were very civil and quiet. Had a good camping place for wood. Bid farewell to buffalo chips.

August 26 – Started at 10 minutes to seven. Traveled 16 miles through a very heavy sand, came to the Fort about 10. Crossed the river, camped about 3 miles from the Fort ta beautiful camp ground. An extra can of flour was given us. We passed a good many Indians. Brother France’s wagon passed over Sister Watts.

August 27 – Traveled 20 miles over hills and through valleys, met some people returning from the valley. Camped near a camp from California. Some of the Brethren traded with them. They had Indian women for wives.

August 28 – Traveled 15 miles, had a beautiful camp ground, hops and mint grew there in abundance, gathered some to take with us. Did our washing.

August 29 – Started at half past seven, traveled 25 miles. 9 or 10 miles very good road. Came into camp very hungry and tired, crossed the river.

August 30 – Traveled 21 miles, met some Californians who informed us that 5 wagons were waiting for us at Deer Creek, crossed the river.

August 31 – Started at a quarter to seven , traveled 24 miles. Met the Brethren from the valley who had come to meet us, with flour and salt flour, 18 dollars per 100 lbs. Paid the last 5 cents we had for a can of salt, felt very tired and weary. Disappointed in not having any potatoes. Felt very low spirited. But do Thou, O Lord, refresh me and comfort me. Brother Stoddard died in the wagon, had been sick a few days.

September 1 – Lay in camp all day. Worked at our needle, washed our heads, spoke to Brother Ellsworth concerning the flour. A meeting in the morning and again in the evening, two of the men who came to meet us spoke.

September 2 – Hannah and I went to Brother Neely who gave us a recommendation, Hannah to go to his house and me to Sister Burr, First ward, South entrance. Started at ten to seven. Brother Snider came out a few miles with us. Drew the handcart with me, made proposals of marriage to me, but I did not feel free. High winds and much dust, traveled 20 miles. Brother Hinckley returned with us. Received table rations.

September 3 – High winds and sandy roads, only made 9 miles. We sisters went round by the store and over the bridge to avoid crossing the Platte. The Brothers took the carts. We met several families returning from the Valley. They gave a poor account of affairs, the Brother Sanders died.

September 4 – Started 20 minutes to seven, traveled 26 miles. Camped where there was no wood and but few Buffalo chips. It began to rain just as the tent was raised and then snow and continued all night. Had a great difficulty to get our porridge for breakfast.

September 5 – In camp all day, the storm continued and it was with great difficulty we could cook anything. The weather extremely cold. The mountains covered with snow.

September 6 – In camp all day, through the cattle being lost. The weather very cold. Brother France and mother very sick and Brothers Birch and Pratt.

September 7 – Sunday, traveled 22 miles, ten miles very heavy sandy road. Brother Birch sick . Hannah and me drew the cart. Brother Liddard died, he drew his cart the early part of the day, but when we camped he was missing. Brother Oakley went on a mule and found him. He lived a few hours after. We camped on a beautiful camp ground at the side of the Sweetwater River.

September 8 – Traveled 16 miles, nooned at Devil’s Gate. Roads bad and winds high. Brother Birch very sick.

September 9 – Traveled 16 miles, very sick all the afternoon. Prayed earnestly for strength to be able to reach the camp. Fainted after I got to camp. Brother Robinson administered to me and I soon got better. Brother Ellsworth killed a cow, camped at the side of the Sweet Water.

September 10 – Traveled 18 miles. Brother Birch still very sick. Rode in the wagon. Roads very sandy, wind high and my breath very bad. My help cometh from the Lord.

September 11 – Traveled 18 miles, roads very bad, a very poor camp ground. Was woke out of my sleep about 11 o’clock by a loud “Hurrah” and shouting and the band struck up. Got up to see what it was and it turned out to be Brother McArthur and company. Went to the camp to see the Sister Hardy’s. Stayed up and did my baking.

September 12 – Traveled 13 miles, camped on a nice piece of ground. Beautiful weather.

September 13 – Traveled 25 miles and did not get into camp till 10 o’clock, very weary and tired, camped with part of the St. Louis company and passed another portion of them at noon. Brother Palmer was with them and a son of Chambers from the valley to meet his parents from McArthur’s company.

September 14 – Traveled 4 miles and camped for the day, it being Sunday. Four wagons from the valley arrived going out to meet the last emigration. Brother John Smith, the Patriarch, was with them. Had a meeting in the evening. The Brethren from the valley addressed us, also Brother Ellswort. Brother Birch still very sick.

September 15 – Traveled 26 miles. Hindered by a storm 2 hours. Had to pitch our tents. Got to camp very late and my spirits very depressed. Comfort me and strengthen me, O Lord God, for Thou knowest my whole trust is in Thee.

September 16 – Traveled 24 miles, fainted and fell from the cart. Brother Robinson administered to me, walked to the camp but did not pull the cart. Brother Watts shot 2 hares and a sage hen. Brother Hansen shot 1 hare and a sage hen. Brother Birch very sick.

September 17 – Sister Birch woke us up about 4 o’clock, found that her husband had breathed his last in peace and without a struggle or a groan. He has a widow and 3 children and she very soon expects another. Very poorly, was administered to by Brother Ellsworth before we started, walked on ahead with Johnny Robinson, could not keep up with the carts. Got sick and vomited 3 times. Reached the came at noon, the vomiting continued and also diarrhea. Suffered extreme pain for some hours. Brother Ellsworth and Robinson administered to me and said I should live and go up to the valley rejoicing. Several said I was going to die, but I believed their word and felt that I should live, was took to camp in the wagon. Camped at Green River.

September 18 – Better, walked on ahead, rode a few miles in Brother Oakley’s wagon. Met Brother Parley Pratt and many other brethren going on missions. They gave away biscuits, potatoes, cheese, and fish. Hannah got a potato and had it ready boiled by the time I came up to the camp. I thought it the nicest I ever ate. Walked to camp in the afternoon.

(September 19 to 24 – no notes written in diary)

September 25 – Traveled 25 miles, found it tight work to pull our load up the big mountain, but realized the promise that as thy day they strength shall be. Brother Lynn came to meet us from the valley.

September 26 – A wagon from the valley brought us a breakfast. Biscuits, meat, potatoes, onions, and cheese. Had not time to cook anything. Ate our biscuits and started. A great many came to meet us, Brother Brigham, the band, carriages and wagons, and ladies on horseback. They brought us a present of watermelons which we enjoyed very much. On eating a piece of melon my voice was restored, having been very hoarse for three weeks, could not speak above a whisper, but the melon cured me complete. Brother Brigham’s heart was full, all he could saw was “God bless you”. After about an hour’s rest we rolled on again. Late in the afternoon we came out of the Emigration Canyon on to the bench in full view of the City. My heart sank within me and I cried out, “O Lord, where shall I find me a home” for I felt that I was a Stranger in a strange land. We laid down our hand carts on Union Square, 16th ward, Salt Lake City, Sept. 26, 1856.


The “poor Italian brother” was Jean-Pierre Stale.