History of the Hickenlooper Family

By Della H. Barker

According the family tradition, the Hickenloopers were among those persecuted for their religious beliefs in Wurttemberg, Germany; they were put aboard a raft and floated down the Rhine River to Holland. At any rate they sailed from Holland-Amsterdam, on the ship “Peggy” 16 October 1754(Pa.B Vol. 1 p.637)Vol. II contains the orginal signatures, in facsimile, of all the passengers. My ancestor signed his name Andreas Heckenleib. It is spelled the same when he took the Oath Of Allegiance to the king. (Pa. 84Vol. 17 p 440), and also in the book “30,000 names of immigrants in Pa.” by Rupp. This name is found in various spellings in the counties of Goeppinger, Wurttemberg, and Waeschenbeuren, and spelled Heckenlaible, Hoeckenlaible, Huckenlaibe, as well as Heckenleib, as above. In the first census of the United States in 1790 he is listed from Manallan township, York County, Pennsylvania, and name is Andrew Hickenloover. His wife’s name was Katherine and from this union came Andres, Jr., Adam, George, Mary, Ann, and Margaret. They were Luthean.

Andrew, Jr., was a soldier in the Revolutionary War, serving three terms of enlistment. In Vol. 28, Penn. Archive, he is listed first as a private, then as a captain int Wm. Dodds Col, Col. James Thompson’s Battalion, York Militia 1779. Ist Lt. In 4th Battalion, York County, Troops commanded by Colonel John King.

12 May 1789 he married Rachel Long of Chester County, Pennsylvania, the daughter of John Long and Rachel Edwards, who emigrated from Ireland to America, but his father had gone to Ireland from Scotland, hence were called Scotch-Irish. In 1793 the family moved from York County later Adams County, in eastern Pennsylvania to about 300 mile west where they settled in Westmoreland County.

My grandfather, William Haney Hickenlooper, was born in Unity Township, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, 22 September 1804. Other members of the family were George, Anna, John, Mary, Jane, Thomas, Andrew, and Rachel. William was the 8th child. 29 August 1829 he married Sarah Hawkins by whom he had three children: Harriet Jane, Belinda, and John Thomas.

He belonged to the Baptist church until February 1839, when he was baptised a member of the Latter-Day Saints. In 1842 he bought a lot and built a house on it in Nauvoo, where he moved his family in 1844.

He was ordained an Elder 24 March 1839, a member of the 5th Quroum of Seventies 2 November 1844 and a High Priest 31 August 1845 at Yelrome or what is generally known as the Morley Settlement, and was a member of the High Council of that Stake, of which Solomon Hancock was President.

He arrived in Salt Lake with the second company of Pioneers 22 September 1847, his 43rd birthday. In 1847 he was ordained a Bishop by President John Smith and when the Fort was divided into five wards, he was set apart to preside over the Fifth. On 22 February 1849 the city was divided into 19 wards and he became Bishop of the 6th Ward. On 9 July 1860 President Young directed him to take charge of the Fifth also, which he did until 12 June 1877 when a new Bishop was appointed to take charge of the 5th. Grandpa continued to preside over the Sixth Ward until his death in 1888.

11 November 1850 he married Sarah Cordelia Ward of Keyham, Lancaster, England, by whom he had four children: Susanna Angeline, Cordelia, William Caleb, and Rebecca Marie.

16 November 1856 he married my grandmother Ann Ham of Devonshire, England. Their children are Orson Hyde, Rachel Ann, Charles Andrew, Olive Jane, and George.

William H. was still bishop in 1888 and had made it a practice to visit every family in his ward each year. He was making his visits when he was stricken ill and died in a few hours. His death occurred 14 January 1888. He lived and died with a strong testimony of the truthfulness of our Gospel and a desire for his children to stay true to the faith.

My grandmother’s four children were all married in the Temple, her three sons filled missions to the nations of the earth: Orson in the Central States, Charles A. in the Southern States, and George in Holland. They all have been church workers: Orson, Patriarch of Blackfoot Stake; Charles, Bishop of Pleasant View Ward; and George is a constant Temple worker. They have all been active in Church and civic affairs. Her daughter died a number of years ago, a faithful Latter-Day Saint.

My father, Charles A. Hickenlooper, was born 23 January 1862, one-half block south of Pioneer Park, Salt Lake City. HE was baptized 30 January 1870 and ordained successively to the offices of Deacon, Priest, Elder, Seventy, High Priest, and Bishop. The family consisted of the father William H. and his three wives, the first wife’s children having married, the second wife “Aunt Sarah” or “Aunty” my father usually called her, and her two children, and my grandmother with her four living children. They lived in an adobe house, four rooms of which my grandfather had built in 1849–50, while the Saints were still living in the Fort. When my father was fourteen years old the first wife died. The three wives and the children had lived together happily, just like one family.

My father says “Like Nephi of old, I was born of goodly parents. Owing to their teachings and the teachings of my good Aunt Sarah, my father’s second wife, I am largely indebted for my faith in the Gospel and my desire to do right as a boy. They taught honesty, integrity, charity to other’s faults, liberality, patience, and virtue in their daily lives by example as well by precept.”

When he was 18 years of age he moved with his mother to Pleasant View, Weber County, Utah, where he made his home for 33 years.

13 December 1883, he was married to Medora Blanchard, in the Salt Lake Endowment House. They became parents of nine children: William, Alma, Luella, Della Ann, Florence, Ray, Merl, Lottie, Glen, and Melva. Lottie died of Scarlet Fever 7 December 1910 in Pleasant View and William A. Died in Salt Lake City 28 November 1922. Through sickness, death and financial struggles, he has always kept the Faith, and his wife stood firmly by his side.

On 27 September 1895 he departed for a mission to the Southern States, leaving his wife with five small children and the sixth, Merl, was born five months afer his departure. He labored as a missionary for 22 months, when he was chosen by Bishop E. W. Wade to be his 2nd Counselor in the Pleasant View Ward Bishopric and was released to return home and serve in that capacity. Five years later, 24 February 1901, he was called to be Bishop, which position he held for 12 years, when he returned to Salt Lake City to make his home.

In civil life he was County Fruit Tree Inspector, member and later Secretary of the State Board of Horticulture, member of the State Fair Board, taking exhibits to Idaho, California, Vancouver, B. C., besides traveling through almost every town in Utah.

Wherever he has lived he was actively engaged in Church work. All during his life he was good to visit and comfort the sick and was called very often to administer to them. He was always willing to help a neighbor or anyone in need, in fact, one of his chief attributes was kindness. As a young man, he had a very violent temper; his mother told him that it is no disgrace to have a bad temper, but the disgrace comes in not controlling it. He came near the top in self-control as he grew older.

After moving to Salt Lake, he filled two home missions, was instructor in High Priests class, teacher in Parents class, block teacher, and at the time of his death he was Ward representative in the Genealogical group and counselor in the High Priest’s Quorum of the 2nd Ward.

On 20 October 1938 he went to work as usual at 8:00 o’clock in the morning, he had a sudden heart attack and died in a few moments. I feel that a promise given him in his Patriarchal Blessing was fulfilled where it said “Thou shalt be changed from mortality to immortality in the twinkling of an eye, scarcely tasting death.”

My mother, Medora Blanchard Hickenlooper was born in Springville, Utah, 23 February 1866, the oldest living child of Emma Bocock and Alma M. Blanchard. Her mother died when Medora was seven years of age and although very young she helped her father keep house and mothered two younger children. Her grandmother lived quite near and naturally did much to help them. When she was thirteen years old her father married Emily Pierce and Medora wen to Pleasant View, Weber County, Utah, to live with her father’s sister Jane Ellis. There she met my father and they made there home in Pleasant View after their marriage.

Father always working in public capacity, necessitated mother being home a great deal, but she always encouraged him and did her best to make it possible for him to attend to his church and other duties. When he was called to fill a mission in Tennessee, although she was in very poor health, she willingly consented for him to go and she kept the farm going and supplied him with the necessary funds to complete his mission.

In a church capacity she was the first secretary of the Pleasant View Ward Primary, also Sunday School Teacher, visiting teacher, treasurer, and secretary of the Relief Society.

Her health was not good in 1935, she went to California to visit her sister Sarah and son Mer. She was returned home in April 1936 and died on 28th of June, 1936.

I was born 24 September 1888 in Pleasant View, Weber County, Utah. The third child of Charles A. and Medora Hickenlooper. My parents at that time were living in an adobe two-room house. My grandmother Hickenlooper had died 17 February previous to my birth and I was given her name, Ann, as an honor to her.

My father departed 24 September 1895, my seventh birthday, for a mission to the Southern States (he left home Sept. 24, but left Salt Lake, Sept. 27). My brother Will was eleven years old and the eldest of the family. My brother Merl was born 14 February 1896, making a family of six children for mother to care for. She surely had a hard mission at home, but we struggled along and father returned to us well, having filled an honorable mission. Uncle Orson Hickenlooper baptized me on my birthday 24 September 1896. My second cousin, Florence Wade Johns, was my first school teacher. I always liked school and graduated from the Eighth grade in the Pleasant View district of Weber County, 5 June 1904, Wiley G. Cragun was the principal. I attended Weber Academy three years.

On March 10, 1901 I received my Patriarchal Blessing under the hands of Thomas Morley of Weber Stake. It has been a comfort and a guide to me throughout my life and I have always hoped that I would live worthy to receive the blessings promised therein.

The day I was born my mother received a legacy from her mother’s people in England and this helped considerably in building a new brick house, where we lived until I was sixteen years old. At that time we bought the home of Bishop E. W. Wade, who had moved to Ogden. Here we had a large house with hot and cold water, a bath room complete, and many conveniences that were very rare in country homes in those days.

In the early summer of 1907 I went to Idaho to visit my mother’s brothers Alma and Byron Blanchard in Chester and her sister Sarah Ferrin in Farnum, all in Fremont County. I went with the Ferrin family to Yellowstone National Park and to Jackson Hole.

29 April 1909 I was married to Frederick Barker in the Salt Lake Temple by John R. Winder. That evening we went to our little home one and one-half miles east of the North Ogden Store. The house was frame with a kitchen, pantry, living-room and bed room. Our water for house use came from a well in a hollow, where we had to pump it all by hand, and carry it up hill to the house, but our home and furniture were all paid for, and we were quite comfortable.

25 February 1910 my first baby was born, a son weighing 7 pounds. After much consideration he was named Kenneth. I was not quite so lonesome now, learning to bathe and dress and care for a tiny baby; taking care of chickens, making butter, caring for milk, canning fruit, washing on a board with no washing machine, and carrying all the water in buckets from the pump, etc.

On 7 December 1910 the first death occurred in my father’s family. My sister, Lottie, who was ten years old, died of Scarlet Fever.

My second child Lowell was born 19 March 1912. When he was thirteen months old, both little boys had Chicken Pox, my first experience with contagious disease with my own children.

In November 1913 we moved from our home on the bench to a modern brick house in the center of town, only a block from the Ward meeting house and school.

Vanese was born July 4, 1915 while we were in quarantine for Scarlet Fever. We bought our first washing machine and had electricity installed in our house during that same year.

During the summer of 1916, Fred and I and our three children went to Roberston, Wyoming, to visit my sister Florence who had moved there from Pleasant View. We took a tent and camped out and enjoyed fishing and a general vacation.

On 22 May 1917, my second daughter was born and we named her Myra. She was very tiny, but soon grew quite nicely. We were very happy and thankful to have another dear little girl. The children were as thrilled and happy as we were. It was Kenneth’s first year in school, and he thought she was so wonderful that he brought the whole grade from school over to see her.

A few people were beginning to get automobiles and we ordered one in the spring of 1917. It arrived when Myra was four days old. That car would not look much now (1938), it was a model T Ford truck, but it was a wonder then. It was a great time saver and convenience, and was quite a factor in business. We also used it for pleasure, taking trips to Salt Lake, Logan, Ogden Canyon, and Ogden Valley, Lagoon, etc. In August 1919 we went to Yellowstone Park in it, taking the four children. That same fall in September, we bought a very nice Buick car and in November, my sister Florence, brother Ray, and I went to Centerfield in San Pete County to visit our parents who lived there two years. In the summer of 1920 our family went to Manard, Idaho, to visit my sister Luella and family. She was a great help to me with the house work and the children and I enjoyed so much her companionship.

1 November 1921 my third son was born LaVar. He was a very strong healthy boy, but when he was about four months old he developed Exzema and while still suffering with that he had Chicken Pox; we surely had a time with him until they both cleared up.

On Thanksgiving Day 1922 my brother Will died with ruptured appendix and peritonitis, leaving a wife and baby son, Roland.

During the fall of 1922, we enlarged our lawn; planted trees, shrubs, and flowers, the first grounds in our Ward to be professionally landscaped. I took great pride and pleasure in keeping them looking well. I would get up very early in the mornings while it was cool and the babies were asleep and work among the plants cultivating, irrigating, pruning, etc. It seemed to me that I left my heart with my flowers when we moved away. For several years our place was the prettiest in the community.

The year 1922–1923 Lula came to stay with us again and attend school at Weber College. The previous year she had gone to State Normal at Albion, Idaho. Myra was sick 13 weeks with leakage of the heart, 1923–4.

31 January 1925, Wendell was born at the Dee Hospital in Ogden. He weighed 6 pounds 2 ounces. When he was nine weeks old his father left for a mission in California. It surely seemed a hard mission for me. I felt that I had both hands tied, having the young baby and my older boys just getting to that know-it-all age, besides that other three children to care for. But they were good kiddies and we got along until their father returned. They raised a good crop of onions. Enoch Randall told me it was the best that had ever been grown in North Ogden by anybody. And they (onions) were a good price so we felt that the Lord had blessed us, as the scriptures say “In basket and in store.”

In the summer of 1925, Mother stayed with my children so I could not worry about them, and I went to California to visit my husband. Besides Sacramento, where he was laboring, we went to San Francisco, Los Angeles, Hollywood, and many other places. Most of all I enjoyed the ocean trip to Catalina Island. We were so happy to be together again and it gave us courage to continue our responsibilities apart until he would return home to us. He did return 17 February 1926 and found us quarantines with Scarlet Fever. Wendell was very sick and I was surely thankful to have Fred home to help me with him.

In March 1928 we sold our home and moved one-half mile west of the North Ogden Store. We found everything so different, so far from the church and school. Now we had to send cold lunches with the children for noon, they must wade through snow and slush to school, one mile away, we must have a car to get to church functions, etc.

That spring, 1928, Kenneth graduated from Weber County High School. He attended Weber College until he left for his mission in France 5 May 1930. He returned 3 March 1933. He attended school some after his return and helped his father with the farm work. 19 July 1938, he and Aelcidean McClay were married in the Logan Temple by Joseph Quinney, and were living in the house where he was born. They have city water, electric refrigeration and many other improvements not there when he was little.

Lowell graduated from Weber High in 1039, from Weber College in 1932, from the State University in 1934, with a B. A. degree. In 1934–5 he taught school in Hooper, 1935–6 at Riverdale, 1936 at Weber High School. In 1935 he attended summer school at Columbia University in New York City. 26 January 1937 hen and Jeanet Alice Manning were married in the Salt Lake Temple by President David O. McKay. They left the next day fro New York City where they entered Columbia again, receiving their master’s degrees. They remained one year longer, working toward their Doctor’s degrees. In August 1938 they returned home and he is teaching this year, 1938–39, at Carbon College in Price.

Vanese graduated from High School in 1933, attended Weber College and in 1935–36 attended L. D. S. business school. Then she worked a year and this year and last she is at the A. C. in Logan.

Myra graduated from Weber High School in 1935, attended Weber College and then the A. C. where she graduated in 1938. She went to New York, visited Lowell and Jeanet, and went to the Southern States and had a very good time. This year she is teaching school in Roy.

Owen Charles was born at the Dee Hospital in Ogden, 27 July 1930. He is a dear boy and though we all looked for a baby sister, we think how he can be just as nice as a girl. He was more than two and half years old when Kenneth saw him first.

In March 1936, my sister Florence and her daughter Margaret, my brother Glen, Myra, and I went to California to visit my mother who was ill at my Aunt Sarah Ferrin’s home in Santa Monica. We also visited my brother Merl, it Burbank; enjoying the ocean, the old missions, and the whole trip immensely and it did Mother a great deal of good to see us. She returned home in April and died 28 June 1936. We were very thankful that she got well enought to come home before the end.

During the winter of 1937–38 Owen was sick with Rheumatic Fever for 21 weeks, but he is strong and well now.

On 8 August 1938 I left Ogden on the U. P. bus with Elsie Nylander Scoville for New York City. How I did enjoy that trip across the continent! Lowell and Jeanet were in the Station to meet us, we were all so glad to be together. We visited my sister Luella’s daughter, Thelma, who had lived in New York several years. She has a most beautiful baby. I remained in New York six days and it seemed or really was a dream come true to get to see the wonderful sights. Among the many things I saw, here are a few: American museum of natural history, the largest Aquarium in the world, Major Bowes trophies, Cathedral of St. John the Divine that has already been 40 years in building and is not nearly finished, Governor’s Island, Customs House, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York Public Library, New York Times Building, New Building, Riverside Church, St. Patricks Cathedral, Zoological Gardens in Bronx Park, the Zoo in Central Park, Jones Beach at Long Island where I had a swim in the ocean, Staten Island Ferry, Chinatown, Chrystler Building, Empire State Building, the Hayden Planetarium, Statue of Liberty, Trinity church, Wall Street, New York Stock Exchange, R. C. A. Building and the ship Normandy. On the return trip we were twelve hours sight-seeing in Washington, D. C. Enjoyed seeing the Capitol Building, Congressional Hall, Congressional Library, Shakespeare Memorial Building, State, War, and Navy Buildings, Continental Hall, Bureau of Printing and Engraving Building, Smithsonian Institute Building, National Museum, National History Building, the Washington monument, the Lincoln Memorial, National Academy of Sciences Building, the L. D. S. Chapel and the Washington monument and many other things. The trip was very wonderful from start to finish, sometimes I got very tired and they would try to get me to rest, I would tell them that I can rest when I get old, or next winter, etc. because I wanted to see the sights while I was where they were. Lowell and Jeanet returned with me and when we arrived home our family was all together again, our own children and their wives: Jeanet and Aelcidean.

I have held many church positions: Taught Religion Class, and Intermediate department in Sunday School, and secretary of the Sunday School in Pleasant View Ward before I was married, Primary Stake Board member at that time. Joined North Ogden Relief Society in September 1910 and taught Book of Mormon class. 2nd counselor to Mary S. Storey in Y. L. M. I. A, was secretary of Relief Society, later taught the Literary lessons, at another time taught Theology, recreational leader, 1st counselor to Florence Manning in Y. L. M. I. A., a Bee Hive leader, Relief Society visiting teacher and teacher in Genealogical Class.